We are running two sessions of Invest in Girls in the Spring of 2021. Each session will be limited to 25 high school aged girls from Michigan. The fundamentals of finance will be taught and career opportunities in the field of finance will be explored. Each week you will learn about a different personal finance topic and work with a female leader in the field of finance. Learn your money personality, all about taxes and how they will affect your paystub, budgeting, banking, credit and debit cards, credit scores, and investing.
This session will run on Wednesdays from 7-8pm April 14 - May 26. Girls who attend at least 6 of the 7 sessions will receive a $150 stipend. If you attend all 7 sessions you will receive a bonus $50.
Tentative Weekly Agenda
● CFO 1: Let’s Talk About Money
April 14, 2021
This workshop is designed to be a team-building introduction to the IIG program for the girls before fully immersing in financial literacy concepts.
- Introduction to Invest In Girls
- Money Personalities
- S.M.A.R.T. Goals
● CFO 2: You & Uncle Sam
April 21, 2021
This workshop is designed to teach girls thinking about taxes. Specifically: What are they? How do they work? How do you pay them?
- Understanding Pay Stubs
- Types of Taxes
- How To File Income Tax with Turbo Tax
● CFO 3: Budgets, Budgets, Budgets
April 28, 2021
This workshop is designed to teach girls about budgets and budgeting.
- Understanding the Elements of a Budget
- See Examples of Budgets
- Practice Budgeting
● CFO 4: Banking 101
May 5, 2021
This workshop is designed to teach girls about some types of bank accounts.
- Learning How Banks Work
- Understanding Basic Bank Accounts
- Learning How To Pick The Right One For You
● CFO 5: Credit vs Debit
May 12, 2021
This workshop is designed to teach girls about the differences between debit and credit cards.
- What Is A Debit Card?
- How Do Debit Cards Work?
- What Is A Credit Card?
- How Do Credit Cards Work?
- Picking The Right Debit & Credit Card For You
● CFO 6: How Credit Scores Work
May 19, 2021
This workshop is designed to teach girls about credit scores.
- What Is A Credit Score?
- How Does A Credit Score Work?
- How Can You Achieve & Maintain A Good Score?
● CFO 7: Investing Basics
May 26, 2021
This workshop is designed to teach girls the basics of investing.
- What Is A Stock?
- What Is A Stock Market?
- Compound Interest Calculator
- What Is An Index Fund?
- Qualified Retirement Plans